What I love about homeschooling

I love being with my girls plain and simple! I love hearing their thoughts and witnessing their "AHA!" moments and knowing I was a part of it.

Being able to control their exposure to inappropriate influences. Children need to be given the opportunity to stay children and not be pushed into an adult world long before they're ready. Click HERE to read more.

Sunday, September 7, 2008

what happens when diet pop meets mentos?


We decided to try the infamous diet coke and mentos experiment this afternoon. However, the girls didn't tell me that after using my camera to make a video last night, my camera had run out of batteries. So while my battery was charging, I had to use their camera (which also ran out of batteries) which doesn't have a view finder and lags terribly. So here's a lone picture as a show of proof that we did do this!

The kids wondered if their would be the same kind of reaction if we used carbonated water, so we tried it. But we only had canned selzter water and although the reaction was similar it wasn't as dramatic. Tomorrow we will purchase a 2 liter bottle of seltzer water and see if the outcome is the same. It was a lot of fun! Here's a link that explains why this happens
: http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/00000109







1 comment:

Kelly said...

LOL! I just love when the batteries die when you weren't expecting it. We have tried generic diet soda, regular soda and an alternative (like sprite or 7-up) and Diet Coke works the best. Regular, non-diet, soda doesn't work as well because of the weight (molecular weight maybe) of the sugar syrup...won't let it fizz or shoot up so high. Let me know how the seltzer water does.