What I love about homeschooling

I love being with my girls plain and simple! I love hearing their thoughts and witnessing their "AHA!" moments and knowing I was a part of it.

Being able to control their exposure to inappropriate influences. Children need to be given the opportunity to stay children and not be pushed into an adult world long before they're ready. Click HERE to read more.

Friday, August 29, 2008

Eggs and Vinegar Conclusion


Squirrel records her data after using as many of her senses as possible to determine a conclusion.


Fluffy Puppy feeling the new texture.





I read that some people got their eggs to bounce after this experiment. We tested the theory and as you can see, splatters would be a more accurate description.

Run Humpty, run!


Fluffy Puppy's publication


After leaving the egg in vinegar overnight, I found that the shell had become a powder floating at the top of the glass. When I took it out, it felt rubbery, almost like a water balloon. Mom took us out on the front porch where we attempted to bounce it. Instead of acting as a ball, it broke and splattered across the front porch.


Squirrel's publication

Sunny side up anyone?

We soaked the egg overnight in vinegar and after 24 hours it felt like a water balloon. We threw it on the front porch to see if it would bounce. My egg sadly did not bounce.

What happened?

Vinegar is an acid and by allowing the egg to sit in it overnight, it slowly dissolves the outer layer of a chicken egg leaving the membrane intact.



1 comment:

Kelly said...

Cool experiment. I'm going to try it with my kiddos. Too funny about the eggs splatting.